Saturday 23 July 2011

Bringing in old mail after Lion Mail issues


To make a long story short, Lion had issues bringing over my old mail when setting up Lion. Through persistence, I eventually got Mail to work, but old emails showed subject and sender only, not body text. (And only some of the emails were there.)

In case it's helpful to anyone else, here's how I manually brought in my old emails in working condition:

• Get to your old Mail files:
In terminal, type and run this:

chflags nohidden ~/Library/

Your user-level library folder will now be visible. Go to your library folder for you user via the "GO" menu or other method.

• In the user's library folder, open the "Mail" folder.

• Determine which folder has your old emails. For me, the folder was named "V2." If you have such a folder, check that out. If not, check dates in the other folders.

• In Mail, choose "Import Mailboxes" from the File menu and choose the correct (V2) folder.

• When finsihed, you'll have a new imported mailbox in the leftmost pane of mail.

Opening the folders, I could easily grab all of the sent emails and was able to drag and drop them into my regular mailbox for that account. Sent emails were more of a pain... I had to open a bunch of folders and grab the sent emails in batches, to which I added them (drag and drop) to my regular sent folder.

Time consuming, yes. Did work for me, though.

ramya

No comments:

Post a Comment